Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Questioning my sexual orientation

I played a 19x19 game tonight. It was my first rated game of that board size, and I can't say it ended happily. About 3/4 into the game, my opponent wanted to undo after he made a false move which caused me to capture a big chunk of his stones. I felt that such mistakes aren't reason enough to undo a move, so I declined. There are no do-overs in a real battle, but that's not my reason. I declined because I don't believe a mistake in a rated game justifies a do-over when the mistake is caused by a lack of thinking before playing (or not seeing before it's too late). However, this declination of the do-over led to a heated monologue from his part in which he multiple times questioned my sexual orientation and claimed that it had an affect of my honesty playing the game.

Sure, I can allow someone to undo their moves from time to time. but this person's behaviour convinced me to be reluctant to doing so even in the future. This game gave me a bitter taste and suddenly I don't feel very happy about my improvement to 17 kyu. I hope my next game will be against a friendly and honest player.

4 comments:

  1. Jerkholes like that will get less common as you get stronger. You'll run into them now and again, so just ignore them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw that game. That was pretty funny man. Some advice though, if someone is being like that, you can get an admin to boot him. That guy was just bluffing when he said you were going to get booted, obviously. If an admin did show up, he's the one who would get kicked.
    You'll see less of those people as you get stronger.
    I personally like to give undos to people if they made a careless mistake since I don't like getting an advantage from it, to me, it's not so honorable to win like that. I don't give consecutive undos to go back more than one move, however, because then they are trying to abuse the undo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the previous commenters said: Those people start disappearing as you climb ranks.

    Don't let some bad apples discourage you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never undo or let people undo. You have to take the responsibility for your actions on the board.

    It it easier in chess where there is a clear rule against undo. Then there is no distracting discussion of this or room for exploitation during the game.

    ReplyDelete